Top 5 TV Shows That Age Like Fine Wine
Many TV programmes experience peaks in their lifetime – those moments where televisual perfection is achieved. What usually follows, however, is a miserable low, where the storylines get more and more absurd and the viewer inevitably feels like the show has past its best. I’m looking at you Desperate Housewives, Smallville, Californication AND OTHERS. But then there are the little gems that just keep getting better with age. They break the trend. They create TV gold. They become classics. Here are just five of our favourites. I’m sure you’ll have a whole load more, so feel free to comment below:
5. Nurse Jackie – This is now in its third season, but somehow it keeps that level of shock (!) and comedy going throughout. The perfect comedy scripting, combined with an utterly eccentric ensemble (Zoey and Fitch being my favourites), keep this TV gem shining.
4. Friends – It’s the kind of sitcom where the plotlines were in danger of getting familiar. But the writers ensured that every season something incredible happened. Phoebe had her brother’s babies! Rachel got pregnant by Ross! Monica and Chandler had twins?! It never lost its wow factor and, most importantly, it never lost the laughs.
3. Dexter – Just when you thought Season Four’s *amazing* cliff-hanger couldn’t be topped, along came Lumen in Season Five! And so we, the viewer, were shocked yet again as Dexter found an accomplice for his murders. This show has sustained its shock potential through five seasons now and shows no sign of slowing down.
2. The Sopranos – Critics may have thought the show was ailing after four seasons, but then a whole host of new characters were introduced in Season Five. The bar was raised. It just never lost its cool. The quality of acting never waived. The drama never let-up. It’s absolute TV gold.
1. The Wire – Does it need any explanation? Is The Wire the best thing on television? Quite possibly. The fact that it is still the most-rented TV box set speaks volumes. We can’t get enough of the five seasons of this expertly-written, beautifully-acted TV classic. The Wire IS the televisual equivalent of the ultimate fine wine. Cheers to that!